Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Grilled Flank Steak over Pesto Quinoa with Roasted Veg


Lately I've been queen of the 30 minute recipes (Rachael Ray can suck it, mine are better) but tonight I felt like spending more time in the kitchen. This one ended up taking 45 minutes! And many thanks to my dear Sarah Dunbar, who informed me of pesto quinoa. Another 'oh duh!' moment for me...

Flank steak (I buy arrachera at my carniceria)
Assorted veg cut into inch pieces
Quinoa
Pesto (I made basil pesto this time, not spinach)

Quinoa is made just like rice. I used 1.5 cups of quinoa with stock and brought it to a boil. I covered it and lowered the heat and let it finish cooking- about 18 minutes. I roasted the assorted veg (red onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms and broccoli) at 425 for somewhere around 15-18 minutes. Then I stepped outside and grilled the steak until nearly done. Let sit a good 10 minutes before slicing- don't ruin it by hacking into it too soon. The longer it sits, the better. When the quinoa is finished, mix in pesto and a bit of Parmesan cheese. Serve the quinoa on the bottom, top it with the roasted vegetables and finish it with the sliced steak on top. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and pesto over the steak. Attack with fork and knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment